Best Knee Brace for Running
Running is no doubt one of the most common fitness activities worldwide. It, however, has its share of pains and injuries. When an injury happens, your exercise will become taxing and painful, thus reducing efficiency. As a result, the increased pressure and stress may consequently cause more pain by tearing the ligaments and damaging the cartilage.
Overall, knee braces are orthopedic products that provide the knee with support and stability, relieve pain and protect it from injury. Also, they strengthen weakened knees and prevent inflammation. Therefore, in this article, we shall list some benefits of using knee braces while running and by tearing the ligaments and, damaging the cartilage.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks:
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
Best Rated Knee Brace for Running Reviewed
Having knee pain or injuries could be very discouraging, especially if you have tried to get relief for some time. Moreover, knee braces give your knees the comfort, mobility, support, and assistance they need to function effectively. So, as a result, we suggest some of the best knee braces to keep you running.
Benefits of Using Knee Braces
The main functions of knee braces are pain relief and protection from injury. It is essential for runners to wear knee braces consistently, no matter what the state of their joints is. Braces keep their knees safe and helps them keep up their exercise. The following are some benefits of a knee brace.
- Knee braces consequently lessen inflammation that may occur during or after exercise
- Stabilizes the knee. As a result, it helps to prevent tearing of ligaments, damage to the patella or kneecap twisting
- Gives support, especially when the runner is suffering from MCL, ACL and PCL injuries
- Compresses the knee, thereby increasing blood flow
- Compresses the knee and reduce pain and stress on the joint. This consequently prevents bone to bone contact and overall, reduces the pain from arthritis
- Helps secure the patella while you run
Types of Knee Braces
Knee braces are of different types. They help ease the pain, support the knee and protect it from further injury. Based on the nature of the knee problem, a trained professional will also know the type of brace that is most suitable.
- Arthritic Knee Brace: This brace has a design with hinges. It reduces the pain by bones rubbing against each other when you run. Its primary use is the treatment of arthritis. Using adjustable compression can help in reducing swelling and inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Hinged Brace: This brace is bigger and more rigid than others and provide the knee with support, stability, and rigidity. It restricts some degrees of motion and leg extension. Moreover, it may be adjustable and customized to fit an individual. Mostly, people wear it after a having knee surgery or when recovering from a severe knee injury. Furthermore, it is not very comfortable for running because it is bulky and large.
- Knee Bands: These are straps worn for minor injuries and go around the knee. Also, they reduce soreness, strain, stress and pain in the patellar tendon, as well as help in the treatment of tendinitis and runner’s knee.
- Knee Tape: This brace mostly protects the knee from injury. Furthermore, it helps to minimize the mild runner’s knee pain. It mainly helps prevent knee strain and soreness. Additionally, it is usually very light-weight and allows total mobility.
- Neoprene Brace: This brace has a stretchable and insulating material called neoprene. Runners use it for bruised knees. Neoprene braces could be in the form of sleeves for retaining heat and compressing. Some could use patella stabilizers or hinges to stabilize weak knees. Moreover, the heat warms-up the sore muscles and joints, while the compression allows blood flow.
- Patellar Stabilizing Brace: This brace is made with a strap to stabilize the patella while you run. As a result, it helps relieve the pain and friction caused by patellar tracking injuries. Additionally, it helps to compress the patellar tendon and consequently relieves the pain caused by tendonitis.
Key Considerations When Buying a Knee Brace
Getting relief for knee pain or injury is the priority of every avid runner. Knee braces are specially made to ensure that you do not have to struggle through such pain and discomfort. Also, it helps to protect your knees from further injury. However, there are a lot of factors to look into before getting a suitable knee brace.
- Benefits: You should be aware of the specific needs you want the braces to meet. You should know what is wrong with your knees. Moreover, it is good to know how the knee braces will be of help.
- Breathability: Braces will make you sweat and this could be very uncomfortable. So, consider getting one that is very light-weight and well-perforated to increase airflow while running consequently.
- Comfort: The best knee braces should be very comfortable. That means no slipping or irritating. Moreover, ergonomic designs offer more comfort, support, and stability.
- Compression: Different knee braces have different compression levels. Some are fixed-type while others are adjustable. Therefore, it is good to get knee braces that are adjustable. This consequently allows you to get the level of compression that you is comfortable.
- Maintenance: Your knee braces will need maintenance, and this should not be a stressful process. Some braces may get damaged when you wash them, while some may not. So you need to know the best way to maintain your knee brace.
- Material and Design: The material and design used for the braces should be seamless, malleable, comfortable, light-weight and excellent at providing relief. Neoprene is more useful for knee support because it warms up the muscles and enhances blood flow.
- Mobility: Your knee brace should suit your specific need. Some problems like arthritis need restricted movement. Less severe injuries will allow full mobility. Also, open patella knee braces are advisable to let your knees to stretch fully while in motion.
- Performance: Whatever your choice is, it should enhance your performance. If you get a knee brace, but it irritates, is not sized correctly, slips off often, causes discomfort and does not relieve pain, your performance will consequently suffer.
- Price: The price of the brace should be within your budget. Also, it must match the quality of the brace. Most of the time, high quality does not come cheap. For thsi reason, you should be willing to part with some extra money. This is especially true if you find a brace that is perfect for your needs.
- Sizing: Sizing is critical. If the size is not right, the brace will be uncomfortable and will not offer the desired support. Therefore, be sure to use the size chart on the company’s website and read reviews to be sure of the sizing that will be perfect for you.
- Support: Your knee brace should offer enough support to your ailing knee for faster recovery.
- Type of Equipment: Knee injuries require either knee sleeves or knee braces. It would help if you were aware of the kind that best suits your needs.
In conclusion, as a runner, there may be a few hurdles to enjoy your sport. One such obstacle is knee pain and injury. In the end, these can keep you off your feet for some time. Overall, we have picked some of the best braces to soothe your pain and discomfort. Go through them and get a knee brace that will stabilize your leg while your body heals.