Best Running Shoes for Metatarsalgia
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We don’t want to waste a second of your time. So no long intro here, what are the best running shoes for metatarsalgia on the market today?
Quick Look at Our Top Picks for Best Running Shoes for Metatarsalgia
- Best Overall: New Balance Men’s Cruz V1 Fresh Foam Running Shoes
- Best Affordable: Adidas Women Cloudfoam QT Racer Running Shoes
- Best Premium Choice: Nike Running Black-Anthracite
- Best for Men: Asics Venture 6
- Best for Women: Newton Running Women’s Distance VI
Best Rated Running Shoes for Metatarsalgia Reviewed
Most times, devoted runners push themselves harder and spend many hours training to become the best. They usually do this at the expense of their health. As a result, you can get Metatarsalgia. Metatarsalgia develops when your foot experiences a change in the way it normally functions and when this change affects the distribution of weight.
Therefore, the best running shoes for someone struggling with Metatarsalgia needs to have good support and cushioning to help you reduce the pain and inflammation on the feet balls on your foot. Thus, it is important to be careful in your search so that you will not worsen your condition.
New Balance Men's Cruz V1 Fresh Foam Running Shoes
New Balance Men’s Cruz V1 Fresh Foam Running Shoes is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. Made of synthetic with a breathable mesh upper, this shoe is built for optimum comfort and support. Moreover, it has a well-cushioned 8mm heel drop with a Fresh Foam insole for excellent cushioning.
The shoe ensures stability while running using its fresh foam technology. Furthermore, as for the shaft, it measures about low-top from the arch. This shoe offers a runner with Metatarsalgia a great running experience with minimal discomfort.
- It has an 8mm heel drop
- Breathable mesh
- Good motion contriol
- Its shaft measures low-top from arch
- The toe box is too small
- Shrinks when wet
Adidas Women Cloudfoam QT Racer Running Shoes
Adidas Women Cloudfoam QT Racer Running Shoes is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. Made of textile and synthetic, this shoe will give you a superior running experience. Moreover, the midsole and outsole are well-cushioned with Cloudfoam for giving your feet maximum support. It also has a sock liner that adds comfort to your feet by having a Cloudfoam memory. Furthermore, it has a rubber sole and a metallic heel patch made of synthetic leather. As a result, this shoe is a combination of style and balance.
- Uses Cloudfoam Memory
- Good rubber sole
- Quite comfortable
- Good for soothing pain at the ball of the foot
- Not durable
- Most reviewers commented on the cheapness of the materials used
Nike Running Black-Anthracite
Nike Running Black-Anthracite is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. Made of synthetic, this shoe offers optimal comfort and traction. Also, it is a very good shock absorber and has an outsole pattern that is great for traction on different surfaces.
Your ankle will enjoy the comfort provided by the well-cushioned collar and effective in reducing the pressure placed on the hurting ball of the foot. Moreover, additional comfort is made available by the Solarsoft sock liner feature of this shoe and synthetic sole.
Another feature of has a very breathable mesh to keep your foot cool and dry. Furthermore, other features of this shoe are the high-tech pylon wedge, zoom air and a shaft that is low-top from the arch. This shoe is definitely a great choice for people with Metatarsalgia.
- Good cushioning in all the right places
- Absorbs shock very well
- It has a shaft that is low-top from the arch
- Good for traction on different surfaces
- It is not very durable
- Some customers had issues with being sent the wrong color of shoes
Asics Venture 6 is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It is made from synthetic and rubber to ensure you enjoy comfort, durability, and traction while running.
Furthermore, this shoe will keep your foot cool and dry while giving you speed without putting pressure on the ball of your foot. Its outsole is durable and stylish due to a strategically placed Asics high abrasion rubber.
Giving consideration to runners using orthotics, this shoe makes use of a removable sock liner. Moreover, having shoes you do not have to break in before using is a rare thing. Asics Gel Venture 6 has an ergonomic design that gives you a natural fit. Furthermore, the rearfoot Gel cushioning is very good for shock absorption and easy transition to midstance.
- Well cushioned for runners with Metatarsalgia
- Top-notch traction
- Not quite durable
- It is quite heavy
Tesla Men's Knit Pattern Sports Running Shoes
Tesla Men’s Knit Pattern Sports Running Shoes is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It is made with your comfort and stability in mind. Also, it is one of the few shoes that are true to size so you can order for it using your actual shoe size.
It has a flex groove with a hexavalent sole for aiding your flexibility and a beautiful knit-grip outsole for providing traction and stability when running on different surfaces. Moreover, the shoe is lightweight and offers enough cushioning for maximum comfort.
- True to size
- The shoe is very comfortable
- Provides great traction
- Has thin insoles
- Not good for excessive use
Nepretty Women’s Knit Running Shoes
Nepretty Women’s Knit Running Shoes is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It promises the best when it comes to cushioning and support. Moreover, it has anti-slipping system and traction that ensures you do not slip when you run on slippery surfaces. Its bottom part is flat and provides very good cushioning/stability. Furthermore, the flexibility this running shoe offers is high-class and it is built to last. Definitely a shoe you will not regret buying.
- Super Lightweight
- Good grip for running on slippery surfaces
- Quite tight but stretches out after some time
- Not very durable
- Not recommended for long term running
New Balance M990v3 is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It is made with a lightweight mesh and suede at the upper part that provide your foot with good breathability. Furthermore, the midsole is ABZORB-made for excellent cushioning. It also has an integrated Encap EVA for additional cushioning, durability and support.
The dual-density collar provides comfort. This shoe has a well-cushioned and lightweight insert. Moreover, it also reflects light which is safe for use at night. Additionally, your all-weather traction needs will be met by this shoe’s rubber lugs.
- Very breathable
- Provides maximum comfort
- Great traction
- Quite expensive
- It is bulky and heavy for racing
Hoka One One Women's W Infinite Running Shoe
Hoka One One Women’s W Infinite Running Shoe is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It is made with more cushioning than most shoes and is very capable of absorbing shock.
Its midsole is durable and well cushioned. Also, it is very soft to give you a good run. Furthermore, the insole helps to keep the foot dry, cool and very comfortable. Your flexibility and traction are guaranteed with this shoe’s grippy rubber sole. Moreover, this shoe is made of quality, yet very soft, materials.
- Good shock absorbers
- Flexibility feature
- Grippy rubber sole to aid traction
- A bit tight
- The item is expensive
Newton Running Women's Distance VI
Newton Running Women’s Distance VI is guaranteed to soothe pain by Metatarsalgia. It is made with an EVA-midsole technology that will add a spring or rebound to your gait. Your transitions will definitely be smoother and all impacts will be well-absorbed by this shoe.
Another feature is that the shoe easily bears the weight of the overweight and even offers great arch support. Moreover, the mesh is airy and lightweight guaranteed to keep your foot very cool and dry. You also have a very good heel cup for flexibility. The lugs at the shoe’s bottom will increase your speed and efficiency.
With great cushioning, self-assured stride and neutral arch support, this shoe stands out as one of the best running shoes for Metatarsalgia.
- Excellent cushioning in all the right places
- Comfortable for overweight runners
- Good shock and impact absorber
- Suitable for running long distances
- Not very durable
- Quite narrow at the heel and forefoot
Saucony Men's Hurricane ISO 3 Running Shoe
Saucony Men’s Hurricane ISO 3 Running Shoe is guaranteed to soothe pain caused by Metatarsalgia. It is made with very high-quality features to guarantee durability and comfort. Moreover, the outsole is made from rubber and flex grooves for durability, good contact with the ground, stability, and flexibility.
With a very smooth transition, support and a firm hold on your foot, this is also guaranteed by the beveled and support frame of the shoe’s heel. Additionally, Saucony also incorporates a very lightweight, durable and responsive PowerGrid foam and Sock Fit system into the shoe’s midsole.
For safety at night, the shoe is also made reflective. In addition to these features is a breathable and supportive mesh that will help your gait, hug your foot nicely and give you an efficient run.
- The item is durable
- It is very comfortable
- The product has a good sock fit system
- It offers good stability and flexibility
- It is breathable
- Quite expensive
- Toe box may be narrow
- Lower drop of the shoe may cause pain
Symptoms of Metatarsalgia
Some of the major symptoms of Metatarsalgia include:
- Severe pain in the ball of the foot (usually when pressure is applied to it)
- A feeling of your toes tingling
- The feeling of having pebbles in your shoes
- Pain that worsens when you stand, walk, run or bend your foot
Causes of Metatarsalgia
Metatarsalgia is caused by several factors, most of them avoidable. Some of the factors you can be wary of are:
- Aging – This could make the fat layer of your foot to tire out leading to tenderness in the ball of the foot.
- Foot Shapes – Foot shapes like a high arch or a long second toe can make you increase the weight and pressure on your metatarsals.
- Stress Fractures – When the toe bones experience small breaks, applying pressure to them could cause serious pain.
- Stiff Ankle – A stiff ankle could push most of the pressure from your body to your metatarsal bones, as a result, this leads to Metatarsalgia.
- Medical Condition – Some medical conditions like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis could cause irritation or inflammation of the foot, consequently leading to Metatarsalgia.
Causes of Metatarsalgia
- Rigorous Training Or Foot Work – If you engage in a kind of work out or footwork that your body is not accustomed to, the front of your foot will have a lot of strain, shock or impact. As a result, this may lead to or worsen the Metatarsalgia condition.
- Inappropriate Fitting Shoes – Shoes that have toe boxes that are too tight will squeeze the ball of the foot causing a lot of discomfort and restriction to the area. This could eventually cause Metatarsalgia. It is important to get the right shoes that will fit your foot shape and size. The wideness of your toe box area should be put into consideration.
- Inappropriate Foot Wear and Wrong Use Of Foot Wear – Excessive use of high heeled shoes could put your foot in a very uncomfortable position and with time lead to Metatarsalgia. Misuse of shoes involves using the wrong shoes for the wrong activity, and this could also cause serious Metartarsalgia issues.
- Excess Weight – Your weight can increase the pressure on your metatarsals because your body weight will be transferred to your forefoot while running.
Treatment of Metatarsalgia
The good news is that Metatarsalgia can be treated. There are several ways of treating and avoiding this condition.
- Application Of Ice To Affected Area – You should apply ice to the affected area several times in a day for about 20 minutes to lessen the inflammation and pain.
- Use Of Anti-Inflammatory Drugs – There are drugs like ibuprofen that you can use for relieving the pain. These drugs should also be taken according to the doctor’s prescription or else you may slow down your performance on the track.
- Keeping The Feet Up For Some Time – Resting your feet and avoiding high-impact activities will help make your condition better.
- Change Your Footwear – You need to get flat and well-fitting shoes that will offer comfort, cushioning and roomy toe box.
- Maintain A Good Body Weight – To reduce the pressure on your feet, it is important to ensure you eat well and lose excess weight.
In conclusion, the best running shoes for Metatarsalgia are designed to bring back the balance you lack in your metatarsal bones and protect the inflamed area at the ball of your foot. Consequently, they will soothe the pain and discomfort caused by this condition. It will also allow you to enjoy high-impact sports. With the best shoes, your confidence will be restored and other complications dealt with.