The 5 Best Ankle Braces for Running
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Running can bring a lot of stress on your feet. The shock transferred to the feet when it hits the ground causes that stress. As a result, ankle and knee pain can be experienced or even worse, a tear in the ligament.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks for Best Ankle Braces for Running
- Best Overall: Zamst A1 Ankle Brace
- Best Affordable: Liomor Ankle Support Breathable Ankle Brace
- Best For For Running With Peroneal Tendonitis: Venom Neoprene Ankle Brace Lace-Up Support
- Best For Running With Sprained Ankle: Liomor Ankle Support Breathable Ankle Brace
- Best For Trail Running: Ankle Support Brace
IMAGE PRODUCT DETAILS View on Amazon → View on Amazon → View on Amazon → View on Amazon → View on Amazon →
Best Ankle Brace for Running Reviewed
The perfect ankle brace for you will depend on your needs. There are various options for you to choose from depending on what best suits the activity that you do. Take a look at the following items:
The Thing About Ankle Sprains
Ankle sprains are common when you run on uneven trails without having any support for your ankle. Often, the biggest challenge that a runner encounters is instability, which can eventually lead to an ankle sprain.
When this occurs, there is a higher chance of an injury due to the diminished capacity of the body in stabilizing the ankle. When left untreated, this can lead to a recurring ankle sprain and a nagging pain that could result in swelling and an inability to continue with your everyday activities.
Helping Prevent Ankle Sprains
The best way to prevent ankle sprains from happening is by providing your feet with support, strength, and balance. Wearing comfortable shoes and adding protection will help. Therefore, while you go out for your runs, try increasing your protection with comfortable shoes and other safety-enhancing accessories.
Ankle braces are one of the best running accessories that you can use to protect your feet from injuries. It provides pressure on your ankles and keeps the foot tightly in place. But before you choose an ankle brace for yourself, there are some things that you need to keep in mind.
How To Choose An Ankle Brace
Due to the increasing awareness of the benefits of wearing an ankle brace, it has become a popular accessory. Runners are increasingly using them as a part of their routine running gears. Due to the increasing demand for ankle braces, a wide range of designs and models have evolved, all of which have different specifications and features.
The ideal ankle sleeve for running should have an adjustable strap and be made of breathable material to minimize excessive sweating. The most important feature should be its ability to provide good compression, support, and elasticity.
Among all of the brands of ankle braces that can be used for running, there are a few top-rated brands that stand out from the rest. To help you choose the best ankle brace for running, here are some tips:
- Proper Fit – Before purchasing an ankle brace, make sure that you know the size of your feet and the circumference of your ankle. Then refer to the sizing chart to know which size would best fit your ankles.
- Neoprene Material – Neoprene is a flexible material that closely fits the body. Due to its ability to be all that flexible, it can provide both support and heat insulation which play an equally important role in protecting the ankle against pain. Although neoprene brings all of these benefits, this material does not provide good breathability and can get too hot when used extensively.
- Fabric Material – Although fabric material does not provide as much flexibility as a neoprene, it has the ability to keep your feet cool because of its breathability. Keep in mind that this is a cooler option because the therapeutic heat that accompanies neoprene does not come with fabric.
- Great Comfort – To ensure comfort, it is best to choose the right size and material for your ankle brace. This plays an important role in giving you the comfort that your feet and ankles need.
Types Of Ankle Braces
- Ankle Sleeves – This type of ankle brace provides a primary level of protection together with moderate compression. Ankle sleeves can also provide relief from pain, inflammation, and can give support. This type of ankle brace is usually recommended for people who are suffering from arthritis, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis or chronic injury.
- Ankle Supports with Straps – The benefits of an ankle support with straps are almost similar to those of an ankle sleeve, the only difference is that it utilizes an additional strap over the sleeve which provides more protection and increased compression. The straps over the sleeve typically come in figure 8 or 6. The figure 8 can provide a full wrap-around that maximizes the compression while the figure 6 braces provide more protection on a lateral movement.
- Lace Up Ankle Braces – This type of ankle brace, on the other hand, uses a shoelace design and gives maximum support. This allows you to adjust its tightness around your ankle.
Whether you are looking for an ankle brace to prevent ankle injuries from happening, are returning from an injury, or are just trying to find ways on how you can improve your agility, a good quality ankle brace for running can add to your pre or post-run routines. You will find yourself amazed by the benefits that an ankle brace can bring to your daily activities. Refer to the items recommended above and you will surely find a good ankle brace to fit your needs.