Best Men’s Running Shorts
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether you are running for leisure or to be fit, it’s no doubt that this activity enhances both the body and soul. There are always long-term health benefits for those who run regularly. It brings about physical and psychological changes. Thus, it’s no secret that running is a great activity to keep oneself fit, healthy and happy.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks for Best Men’s Running Shorts
- Best Compression Shorts For Running: Compression Z Shorts for Men
- Best Running Shorts For Big Thighs: MJ Soffe Men’s Running Shorts
- Best Running Shorts For Marathon: Champion Men’s Long Mesh Shorts
- Best Trail Running Shorts: Baleaf Men’s Athletic Quick-Dry Running Shorts
- Best Ultra Running Shorts: Under Armour Launch Woven 7” Running Shorts for Men
Best Rated Men’s Running Shorts Reviewed
When you’re looking for the best running shorts, make sure to take note of the factors above and do take the time to read through the pros and cons. This guide for the best men’s running shorts will help you when you buy one from online.
Compression Z Shorts for Men
These compression shorts are one of the best because it offers excellent compression and provides a lot of comfort. The shorts are of anti-bacterial and anti-itching materials. It prevents odor and chafing. Furthermore, it is of spandex-nylon blend because it is of compression materials. Additionally, it prevents injury and promotes faster and easier recovery after a high-impact run. The shorts are also suitable for long runs and can also be used in other strenuous activities.
- Helps warm-up the muscles faster
- Great for long runs
- Prevents injuries
- Suitable for both hot and cold weather
- It has high nylon content which is not as breathable as other shorts
- May be tight around the waist
- Some reported poor fabric quality
MJ Soffe Men’s Running Shorts
These running shorts are one of the best-selling products on Amazon. It has a lot of features that runners love and at a price that’s easy on the pocket. Furthermore, this affordable activewear’s v-notch style allows a lot of flexibility and movement. Additionally, its high-quality material makes for good ventilation and is extremely comfortable. As a result, even if you run long distances, you will continue to feel cool and dry.
- V-notch style gives a lot of flexibility and movement
- Made of 100% nylon tricot
- Inside key pocket
- Lots of colors to choose from
- Has a 100% nylon mesh brief liner
- Material may be too thin for some
- Very short shorts
- Quality issues
Champion Men’s Long Mesh Shorts
These long mesh shorts are a variation of the signature mesh running shorts from Champion. As a pioneer of the mesh athletic shorts, they really know what they’re talking about. Furthermore, with these shorts, you can never go wrong as they are the right length —not too short nor too long. It is 100% imported polyester material and provides a full athletic fit.
- Made of 100% imported polyester
- Has a four-needle elastic waist that allows a lot of freedom
- Has smooth side-seam pockets for storage for keys or cash
- Made of lightweight mesh fabric that’s breathable
- Some may have problems with its inner drawstrings
- A few people say they prefer a mesh inner liner
- Waistband may not have enough grip
- Some have issues with the sizes
Baleaf Men’s Athletic Quick-Dry Running Shorts
These quick-drying shorts are of 95% polyester and 5% spandex. This will keep you cool, dry, and comfortable even on long runs. Furthermore, it has a breathable built-in mesh brief liner that provides enough comfort and support. If you are into pockets, then this is the one for you as it has deep mesh pockets on both sides. Moreover, there is a rear zip pocket for those things that need to be kept away. It also has side mesh panels for added strategic ventilation.
- Made of lightweight, breathable fabric for added comfort and support
- Has built-in mesh brief liners that provide supportive comfort
- There are side mesh panels for enhanced ventilation
- It has reflective elements
- Some have issues with the sizes
- Fit can be puffy and weird for some
- Some have trouble with the drawstring
- There are some users that reported that it bleeds in washing machines
Under Armour Launch Woven 7” Running Shorts for Men
These running shorts for men are a great investment if you are doing a lot of high impact activities because it is very durable. It is of an imported light-weight material that’s perfect for running. Furthermore, this is one of the best running shorts from Under Armour. It has a lot of features that are a must-have for seasoned runners. Also, there is a mesh inner liner so you don’t have to wear your underwear when in it. Additionally, it also keeps moisture away and will provide good ventilation even after long runs.
- Made of 100% polyester that is comfortable and light-weight
- Very durable
- Form-fitting design prevents chafing
- Has an elastic waistband that’s just the right fit
- May not be suitable for those who are not into fitted wear
- Pockets are not that secure
- Some say it may be too small while choosing your usual size
- May not be breathable for some
Asics Men’s Woven 7” Shorts
These 7-inch inseam shorts are popular among most runners because of its high-quality fabric material and other features such as a back pocket, a brief liner, and reflective details. Furthermore, it is 100%polyester. This will keep you dry, cool and comfortable, even on long runs. Additionally, it has a handy zipper back pocket, which you can fit most mobile phones. Moreover, it also has the Lite-Show retro-reflective thread technology from Asics that allows it to bounce light directly back to its source.
- Made with 100 % polyester
- Has a built-in breathable anti-odor brief liner
- Zippered back pocket that keeps sweat away
- Reflective details that make it safe during night runs
- May not be as durable as other shorts
- Some prefer shorter shorts
- Choosing your usual size may be smaller
- Some found the liner to be too tight
Nike Men’s 7” Challenger Shorts
These challenger running shorts for men are designed from signature Dri-FIT technology that will keep you comfortable and dry. It is 100% imported polyester material and has a comfortable elastic waistband with an adjustable drawstring. If you’re the kind of runner who doesn’t like shorts that show too much of the upper thighs, then this is for you. Its other features are a built-in brief liner that is comfortable and keeps sweat away and has three pockets for storage.
- Dri-FIT Technology keeps you comfortable and dry
- Made of Nike Dry fabric that comfortably stretches with your body
- Side mesh panels for good ventilation
- Sweat absorbing built-in brief liner
- Liner may be too tight for some
- Fit may be too tight around the mid-thighs for some
- May be restrictive while doing stretches for some
- Pockets are not zipper-closed
New Balance Men's 5 inch Short
These shorts are great not only for running but also for working out. It features the New Balance Dry Technology which keeps moisture away to keep you cool and dry even on longer runs or when the workout heats up. It has an elastic waistband with inner adjustable drawstrings for a secure fit. Moreover, it has reflective detailing with a reflective New Balance logo at the left hem of the shorts making it ideal to use during the night or while running in low-light areas. It also has a crepe inner brief liner to make it even more comfortable to run in.
- New Balance Dry Moisture-Wicking Technology
- Reflective detailing for greater visibility during the night
- Enhances speed performance
- Elastic waistband with adjustable drawstrings for a secure fit
- Crepe inner brief liner for a tighter inner fit
- Smaller than your usual size
- A bit restrictive and too long for longer runs
- Some users say it is too tight for some
- May be too short for some
Time to Run Men’s Lightweight Pace Running Shorts
These stylish shorts are great when you want to enhance your performance while running. It is made of light-weight and quick-drying material that will not bring you down. Additionally, you can even run wearing these during the rainy season because its outer fabric is water-resistant. Another added feature of these shorts is that it can withstand multiple washes without fading or bleeding. As a result, this makes it very durable.
- Increases performance while running
- Outer fabric is water-resistant
- Can withstand multiple washes without fading or bleeding
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Length of shorts may not be comfortable for some
- No pockets
- Liner may be irritating to some
- May be smaller than your usual size
Adidas Men’s Designed-2-Move 3-Stripe Shorts
These multi-sport training shorts are great for running because of its moisture and sweat-absorbing climalite fabric. This keeps you dry and comfortable. Furthermore, what’s great about these shorts is that you can wear them on casual days or on a workout, for running, or even on a sports day. It is 100% recycled polyester interlock and uses the kind of material that saves resources and decreases emissions. So, apart from buying a pair of running shorts, you are also making the world a better place when you buy these.
- Made of climalite fabric that keeps sweat and moisture away
- Flat-knit waist with loop drawstrings for a streamlined look and a secure fit
- Mesh inside and side panels for added ventilation
- Doesn’t have reflective detailing
- May be too small than your usual size
- No inner brief liners
Key Considerations When Buying Running Shorts
Whether you are running as a part of your training, it is imperative to have running shorts that are practical and are just the right fit. For one, they should keep you free from distractions, sweat, and moisture. Furthermore, at the same time, they should maximize efficiency and enjoyment. Below are some of the things to look for in order to buy the best running shorts.
- Style – There are three different styles that you can choose from based on your personal preference, your running goals, and your budget. There’s compression, v-notch, and split. If you don’t care much about fashion and are nursing an injury, the compression shorts would be best. Furthermore, if you are on a tight budget and aren’t running professionally, the v-notch style would be the one to go for. Additionally, if you’re running professionally and want to maximize your performance, then you should choose the split shorts.
- Underwear/Liner – When you wear a pair of running shorts, you don’t have to wear underwear because the shorts have built-in liners that provide support and compression. Furthermore, the mistake that most runners make is that they tend to wear separate undergarments while wearing shorts with liners. That’s not the right way to do it because it will consequently cause a lot of chafing with the extra fabric.
- Fabric– Choosing the right fabric is essential when it comes to maximizing comfort and efficiency. You can either choose synthetic fibers or the natural ones. Most running shorts are made from synthetic fibers that are more durable and can be used much more frequently. However, it can get smelly, especially due to sweat and moisture. Yet, if you run in cold weather and want a lot of comforts, then natural fibers are the way to go.
- Pockets – This feature and its necessity will depend on your needs and preference. Having pockets or not will depend on the kind of storage you are looking for. They can be small pockets on the inside of a waistband, they can be large zip-up pockets at the back, or they can be open waistband pockets.
- Visibility– If you are the type of person who likes to run at night or in low-lit areas, then it is important to wear light-colored shorts. It is also a good choice to go with reflective strips to ensure more visibility and safety.
In summary, when choosing the best running shorts, make sure that you know what to look for so that you will have enhanced performance while running. Also, this allows you to remain cool and comfortable. Be sure that your shorts have enough breathability and give you a comfortable fit. Furthermore, they should be durable enough to withstand a lot of running and washes. This way, you can get the most out of it.