Best Running Shorts for Women
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Running can be a great activity that improves their cardiovascular health and stamina. On summer days, most people make it a habit to go running and with it, they need to have running shorts that are stylish, cool and comfortable. This can also help to maximize their performance.
After all, to do some serious running, you need to have a good gear for it. If you are looking for the right gear, then this is the place for you. If you’re someone who likes to run during the summer time, you definitely need shorts that can withstand the heat. Running shorts for women have become more and more advanced with time.
As a result, most women are thankful for the comfort that they give. It is important to have the right activewear to be able to thoroughly enjoy and make the most out of it.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks for Best Running Shorts for Women
- Best Overall: Under Armour Women’s Play Up Shorts 2.0
- Best Affordable: Under Armour Women’s Fly-By Running Shorts
- Best Premium Choice: Adidas Women’s Running M10 Shorts
- Best for Running: Nike Women’s Pro Cool 3″ Compression Shorts
- Best for Women: Under Armour Women’s HeatGear Authentic Long Shorts
Key Considerations When Buying Running Shorts for Women
When it comes to choosing the best running shorts, sometimes women go with your female instincts. However, that may not always work and be doing some research would be a more practical way to go about with it. Choosing running apparel for women is quite different from choosing one for men.
That’s because women look into aesthetics and style in great detail and so it would be apt to consider design, function, and fit of the product. That’s because women like to look good and therefore they go with the trend. They tend to choose those outfits that flaunt their figure.
Due to this, they sometimes tend to overlook the functionality and the value that they are getting for their money. That said, we have gone an extra mile to carefully assess and pick the best running shorts for female runners.
Some of the factors to consider when it comes to choosing the best for women’s running shorts are listed below. So you can take note of this list and get your hands on some nice running shorts.
- Comfortable – When it comes to comfort, most have indicated that a wide, supportive waistband gives maximum comfort for women when it comes to running shorts. It should be something that compresses but doesn’t cause a pull.
- Non-restrictive– When you buy running shorts, the fit is very important. It must be non-restrictive and give you enough room for free movement. At the same time, it shouldn’t be so loose that it makes you feel like they’re flapping all around you.
- Technical Fabrics – Always check out for the material from which the shorts are made. You must always choose a fabric that you feel comfortable in. Also, it should be something that will keep you cool, dry and carefree as you do your running.
- Light-weight and Breathability–While choosing the best running shorts, ensure that it doesn’t make your runs harder than earlier. It should be made of light-weight materials that are breathable and give you maximum comfort.
- Sweat-Wicking– This is an essential quality when it comes to active wear. Always make sure that you are buying apparel that wicks out moisture and sweat so that you will be more comfortable during your running sessions.
Our 10 Top Recommended Shorts for Women
With the below-listed running shorts, you can never go wrong. They are considered to be some of the best running shorts out there, made exclusively for women. They are designed to keep you well-ventilated and comfortable as you go through your running activities. Whether you are running on a track, during weekends with your running buddies, or on a treadmill, these are sure to benefit you in the long run.
Under Armour Women's Play Up Shorts 2.0
These all-around shorts are not just good for running but also for yoga, gym workouts or any other athletic sports. The shorts are made of an innovative fabric that helps you keep dry and comfortable. It wicks sweat and moisture away from the body. Furthermore, this brand has received very positive reviews on Amazon. Thus, you have no reason to doubt or rethink this product.
- Made of unique high-quality material that allows your skin to breathe
- Sporty fold-over waistband that makes it a versatile wear
- Made of 70% cotton, 18% nylon and 12% spandex
- Excellent workmanship with a delicate shape
- Sizing issues
- Some users have reported that it is too short for them
- May roll-up a little when you sit and get up
Under Armour Women's Fly-By Running Shorts
These running shorts are 100% imported polyester. This makes the user feel like it’s a second skin. Furthermore, it keeps you dry and comfortable even on long sweaty runs. It also has strategically placed mesh side panels that keep you covered and cool. Moreover, it won’t interfere with your stride and will not rip off as you run and stretch.
- Moisture Transport System that pulls sweat away from your body
- Made of 100% imported polyester
- Has strategically placed mesh side panels to keep you covered and cool
- Keeps runners cool, comfortable and dry
- Durability issues
- High heat while drying may melt the fabric
- May fly up while running
- Will get puffier
Adidas Women's Running M10 Shorts
These running shorts for women are ideal for those who are on a tight budget. Furthermore, it is 100% polyester plain weave with three-inch inseam. For this reason, it’s not too short and fits comfortably on the waist. Moreover, it is comfortable and has a mesh inner lining too. It is also from Adidas Climalite fabric that wicks away moisture. This can evaporate quickly. It is also light-weight and keeps you well-ventilated.
- Made of 100% polyester plain weave
- Value for money
- Has 3 inch inseam
- Mesh inner lining for enhanced comfort
- Made from Adidas Climalite fabric that wicks away moisture
- Fits tighter around the waist for some users
- May not be form-fitting
- Some users have problems with sizing
- Lighter colors may be see-through
Nike Women's Pro Cool 3
You can use these pair of shorts with or without a base layer under loose running shorts or skirts. This, in turn, will keep you cool and dry. It is from imported polyester-blend to keep you dry and comfortable. Furthermore, it has a body-hugging look that allows easy layering. It also has a wide flat waistband for no-fuss comfort and supportive fit. The shoe is also made of Dri-FIT fabric that keeps you dry and comfortable.
- Dri-FIT Technology keeps you dry and comfortable
- Best for early spring run when you need support and a base layer
- Body-hugging fit that makes it an ideal base layer
- Flat elastic waistband delivers a comfortable and supportive fit
- Triangular gusset allows full range of motion
- Maybe very tight for some users
- Colors may be transparent for some users
- There are users that have problems with sizing
- Some users reported that the hem came out after a few washes
Under Armour Women's HeatGear Authentic Long Shorts
These compression long shorts have a seven-inch inseam and a wide waistband with a hidden pocket, a seamless front for enhanced comfort and anti-odor treatment. Furthermore, it’s great for runners who want their shorts to stay in place while they run. It is also made from fabric comprising 87% imported polyester and 13% elastane. Moreover, its super-light UA HeatGear fabric allows it consequently deliver superior coverage and support. In addition, there is a four-way stretch that moves with your every step.
- Made of 87 percent polyester and 13 percent elastane
- Super-light UA HeatGear fabric delivers superior cover and support
- Has a 7-inch inseam and a wide waistband with a hidden pocket
- Seamless front for enhanced comfort
- May not suit those who don’t like compression shorts
- There are users that experience chafing
- Some users have issues with inner seams at the back of the shorts
- May not suit users who like shorter shorts
Under Armour Women's Perfect Pace Shorts
These running shorts provide an extremely comfortable fit as it is made of lightweight, fully perforated woven fabric. It has a Signature Moisture Transport System that wicks sweat and consequently ensures highly effective moisture management for enhanced comfort. Furthermore, it has a matching built-in anti-microbial brief inside that offers extra coverage and chafe-free performance. There is also a high-quality elastic waistband that gives you a perfect fit, as well as zippered key pocket too.
- High-quality fabric for superior ventilation
- Signature Moisture Transport System to wick sweat and moisture away
- Built-in anti-microbial brief offers extra coverage and chafe-free performance
- 360-degree reflection to keep you safe while running in low light
- It be too tight and small for some users
- Some say it was not comfortable, especially for those with curvy figures
- It might be too long for some users
- Some users reported that it is see-through
Champion Women's Mesh Shorts
This pair of mesh shorts is breathable and light-weight. As a result, that makes it very comfortable during running sessions. Moreover, other features that give it comfort is its breathable mesh and tagless back. Its mesh also provides cooling and ventilation. Furthermore, it is made of 100% imported polyester and can be machine washed. There is also a drawstring closure and five-inch inseam. On top of that, it also comes with a silky smooth inner lining that helps prevent chafing and rubbing.
- Breathable mesh that provides ventilation and cooling
- Has a silky smooth inner lining that stops chafing and rubbing
- Snug and comfortable fit
- Made of high-quality fabric and very durable
- There are no inner pockets
- No inner liner
- Some users may experience problems with its inseam
- Quality issues
Homma Women's Tummy Control Shorts
These all-around tummy control shorts are perfect for any high impact activity such as running, cycling, dancing, and any other sporty activities. Moreover, it has a high and thick waist for tummy control. In addition, these compression fit athletic shorts are opaque and not see-through. Its fit is just right and the material is also strong, thick, and flexible. As a result, a person will not feel any tightness and can also move freely using these.
- High-waist tummy control and body shaping
- Can be used for running, dancing or any sports activities
- Compression shorts
- Opaque and not see-through
- There are users that have issues with the size
- Some users reported it to be tight around the groin area
- A few users reported that the shorts roll-up around the legs and tummy
- Quality issues
Icyzone Workout Lounge Shorts
These fashionable workout lounge shorts provide comfort and support but are also feminine, stylish and classy. It is made of hundred percent cotton French terry has an elastic waistband, as well as an adjustable drawstring for a custom fit. Furthermore, it has two front pockets, an adjustable drawstring waist, secured cuffs, and a small embroidered logo on the front. With all these qualities, therefore, you won’t regret buying these. This is because they are from high-quality materials that are quite durable.
- Stylish running shorts
- Made of high-quality materials
- Has drawstring so they can be easily adjusted for a custom fit
- Waistband is elastic and stretchy for more comfort
- Flexible active wear
- May be too short and small for some users
- Problems with sizing
- May be uncomfortable for some users
- Fabric may be too thick for some users
Neleus Women's Compression Shorts with Pocket
This compression running shorts is of Dri-FIT material that’s 85% polyester and 15% spandex and can be machine washed. Moreover, its light-weight properties and quick-dry fabric will keep you dry and comfortable. It also has an elastic waistband and drawstring that allows you to fit into it perfectly. Furthermore, it does not have a pad for a variety of training activities and has one side pocket that is big enough to put your phone, keys, or wallet inside.
- Has light-weight properties and quick-dry fabric to keep you dry and comfortable
- Dri-FIT fabric that wicks sweat and moisture away
- Elastic waistband and drawstring ensure proper fit
- Designed without pad for a variety of training activities
- Comes with a skin-friendly soft fabric for lower friction
- A few users reported that the elastic twists and rolls
- Some reported that it doesn’t have compression
- Fabric may be very thin for some users
- Some may have problems with sizing
While evaluating and buying the best running shorts, always ensure that you are buying something that is worth your money. If you have the money, invest it inexpensive ones as they often come with more features, functionality and superior quality. If you are brand-conscious and are committed to certain brands, you can choose from that brand’s products. Most brands would have at least one product that may fulfill your requirements. Always choose something that gives you comfort, value for your money is high-quality and has the right fit. These are some of the things that you need to look into while buying the best running shorts.